We have had a lot of fun mocking the Left’s political correctness over the last thirty or so years. It has been a useful phrase to identify ridiculous behavior from the Left. But one thing that political correctness is not is correct. It can be a lot of things, but it is never the truth.
That’s why I say that…
Political Correctness is a Lie
Politically Correct (adj.) 1. Politically expedient & obviously false. 2. Nonsensical. 3. Untruth as enforced by govt or official edict.
That’s my own definition. There are many others. phrases.org.uk defines it as follows:
Description of the practice of using speech that conforms to liberal or radical opinion by avoiding language which might cause offence to or disadvantage social minorities.
The winning entry from a contest at Texas A&M University to define political correctness went like this.
“Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.”
The always edgy Urban Dictionary includes the following definitions, edited to reduce abusive language.
- A way that we speak in America so we don’t offend whining [female genitals]
- The laws of moral and ethical relativism; all systems of cultures and thought are equal in value, steming from a perceived guilt from white liberals who believe that the Western Civilization is the root of all evil to the exclusion of all else.
- A powerful form of censorship.
- The ideology of weird left wing liberals who want society to be nothing but accepting of all perverts and freaks everywhere. The main basis is not to offend anyone with one little incorrect word.
- A method of controlling and dictating public speech and thought. (See also: Newspeak in George Orwell’s 1984)
- A form of censorship practiced by Democrats and other socialists so they don’t have to hear any points of view that they don’t agree with.
- Used in order to control what people say in public. This is a type of language used mostly by white liberals and other whiney [female dogs]. Makes it where Christianity is offensive and wrong but Islam, Buddhism, and Judiasm (Reform only) are really cool. Another form of liberalism where certain opinions and things are upheld and defended while other opinions and things are condemned and banned. See also: hypocrite.
- The use of various euphemisms when communincating with people that have a hard time dealing with reality. Generally associated with social superiority/inferiority when referring to gender, race, economical status, handicap, etc.
- Euphemism – an insidious guilt-trip placed on everyone so that reasonable people are afraid to say what everybody thinks.
- conforming in words and actions to the dominant culture’s morality; using unoffensive speech except toward those deemed acceptable to demonize.
- Political correctness is: The elevation of sensitivity over reality or fact. Example: You are a United States Marine, at war in a country ten thousand miles away from home. You enter a villiage where Islamic fighters have just killed twelve people and gang raped all adult women and an 11 year old girl. You chase after them! They know you are following, ambush, fierce firefight, you are alive! they are dead. Do not make a video of pissing on their corpses because that would not be Politically correct.
adj. Abbr. PC
1. Of, relating to, or supporting broad social, political, and educational change, especially to redress historical injustices in matters such as race, class, gender, and sexual orientation.
2. Being or perceived as being overconcerned with such change, often to the exclusion of other matters.
3. demonstrating progressive ideals, esp by avoiding vocabulary that is considered offensive, discriminatory, or judgmental, esp concerning race and gender Abbreviation PC political correctness
Merriam Webster says
conforming to a belief that language and practices which could offend political sensibilities (as in matters of sex or race) should be eliminated
a term which denotes language, ideas, policies, and behavior seen as seeking to minimize social and institutional offense in occupational, gender, racial, cultural, sexual orientation, certain other religions, beliefs or ideologies, disability, and age-related contexts, and, as purported by the term, doing so to an excessive extent.
See also “ideologically sound” as used by the American New Left.
In the meantime, the Left claims that there is no movement to push politically correct language on everyone in society. They claim it’s simply a smear invented by their political rivals. And then they go on to intimidate people with definitions of racism and hate speech that allow hateful or violent language and behavior against some groups of people and disallow any disapproval at all of other groups of people. The effect is to create an apartheid society where any possible offense committed against some groups of people (as defined by their skin color, sex, criminal activities, or sexual behavior) is preemptively punished, and other groups are prejudged as guilty of giving offense no matter what they say. This is political correctness.
In the language of the Left, political correctness is based on partisan tolerance, a concept invented by Herbert Marcuse in a phenomenally intolerant 1965 essay on tolerance.
Unfortunately, political correctness has not been stopped or even significantly slowed by all the mockery leveled against it. In the same way that 90% of everybody can identify obscenity when they see it, so 90% of everybody can identify political correctness when they see it. And yet partisans of the left continue to claim it does not exist, or is only a meaningless phantasm and bogeyman used by their partisan rivals to keep them down. Worse, they have continued to create actual laws that punish people for transgressing rules of political correctness.
Mockery hasn’t stopped the most egregious forms of political correctness, for instance campus hate speech codes, catch 22 style sexual harassment rules, divorce laws that disproportionally punish men, or the legislative passage of new Federal hate-crime laws that create two tiers of law, one that levies the traditional punishments, and the second that punishes criminals who offend against those groups who are under the protection of hate speech laws. Beat up a white mother of four and you get one punishment. Beat up a homosexual man and you get extra punishment because it was a hate crime. Hate crimes are Orwellian “thoughtcrimes.” This type of law has established an apartheid system in America, where some people (typically minorities) are protected by the same laws that explicitly do not protect others (typically the majority). This is precisely how apartheid laws were formulated that punished the South African black majority for doing things that were not illegal if done by minority whites. And it’s how oppressive Jim Crow laws worked in the American south. The only difference is that the colors have been changed. This does not make these laws any more right or just.
While the left claims political correctness doesn’t exist it has infiltrated into the law. Rather than fighting political correctness as the death of freedom it is, we have been mocking its proponents for being stupid, dirty hippies. Unfortunately, the dirty hippies and their communist mentors took over the Democrat Party, then they took over the Federal Government, the universities, the legal profession, journalism, movies, and television.
There is still a fight. Once we recognize the nature and size of the threat, we must deal with anything politically correct as we would deal with poison. Flush it out, clean it up, cure it, strike every trace of it out of the law, and seal the law against ever again being penetrated by the evil of political correctness.