Basically this is unsubstantiated so far. I’ve been getting twitter updates up the wazoo. Here is what I have heard. So far it is rumor, and I will update as I find out more.
One thing to keep in mind is that North Korea engages in sword-waving pretty frequently. This may not be a serious threat. But it sure sounds like more of a serious threat than it usually does.
South Korea’s decision from earlier today to join the anti-proliferation treaty has served as an excuse for North Korea to state that it takes that as a Declaration of War against it. North Korea has stated it is withdrawing from the Armistice. Also that this returns the Korean peninsula to a state of war.
- Breaking Tweets
- Lots of updates here. As Breaking Tweets mentions, this was first broadcast on Twitter by @BreakingNews, which may have exaggerated the state of affairs. CNN @iDesk is fact-checking.
- Yonhap News Agency, South Korea
- SEOUL, May 27 (Yonhap) — North Korea said Wednesday that it will no longer be bound to the Korean War armistice and will militarily respond to any foreign attempt to inspect its ships, denouncing South Korea’s participation in a U.S.-led security campaign as a “declaration of war.”
“As declared to the world, our revolutionary forces will consider the full participation in the Proliferation Security Initiative (PSI) by the Lee Myung-bak group of traitors as a declaration of war against us,” the North’s permanent military mission to the joint security area said. […]
- 11:23PM CDT: AP at Breitbart confirms. Morning Update
- This decision comes after North Korea set off a nuclear bomb in a test, fired five missiles that are capable of reaching Japan, and restarted its shut-down nuclear plant. South Korea responded by stating it would join with the US and stop and search North Korean ships under the Proliferation Security Initiative.
- 11:33PM CDT: Michelle Malkin is on it
- “Joe Biden said our dear leader would soon be tested.” [Read it all.]
- 11:43PM CDT: Fox News
- More backstory, all in one place, with lots of relevant links.
- Nothing yet at Kyodo News in Japan
- Maybe they think this is just another one of Kim Jung Il’s wacky stunts.
- FP Passport – North Korea like you’ve never seen it
- Project to map the secret parts of North Korea by Curtis Melvin, PHD
- Bookworm Room
@Lileks tweets “So: a country tests a nuke and a passel of missiles, announces it is the subject of a declaration of war, and we wonder what they’re up to. We have the same reaction to everything the Norks do: the wolf who cried boy. That may need adjusting.”
@kurulounge tweets: “@HeyTammyBruce when i was stationed in korea this was a regular occurence. don’t worry until they start moving troops”
North Korea Threatens Armed Strike, End to Armistice Bloomberg
By Heejin Koo May 27 (Bloomberg) — North Korea threatened military action in response to South Korea joining a program to seize weapons shipments, …
BREAKING: North Korea Ends ’53 Armistace from Dane101
12:12AM CDT: While I hope they’re awake and sweating this in the White House, CNN, and all the news agencies, nothing more is coming across the wires. I’m going to put this to bed and go to sleep myself.